Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Apple Pie Filling




Growing up we had an apple tree in our backyard. I have fond memories of climbing in all summer long and inspecting the apples as they grew. Once they started falling on the ground and rotting stepping on all the drunk bees was one of my favorite things to do (yes, I may have been a weird child). Now that our old apple tree is long gone, and our new one isn't producing enough fruit yet I was happy with the bag full of apples my mom brought home from the farmers market.

First things first, using one of my favorite kitchen tools, the apple peeler, corer, slicer


Today I decided to make apple pie filling. I love making filling to freeze so it is ready to use all winter long. I also love using recipes from family friends.


Apple Pie Filling
6 cups apples
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
3 T flour
1/2 or 3/4 t cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 t nutmeg
dash salt

Mix all ingredients. Spoon into quart sized freezer bags. When ready to use thaw and place in 9 inch pie dish. Dot with butter if you use a double crust. Also makes great apple crisp!






No comments:

Post a Comment