Sunday, November 16, 2008

Priorities

This past week I have been bogged down with school. It is inevitable, we are approaching the end of the school year way too fast and the papers and assignments are piling up. I always find it so hard to keep things in prospective at times like this. My mind seems like it is traveling in a million different directions, trying to keep track of classes, homework, meetings, and countless other things going on in my life.

Last week I saw friends on three different occasions that I had not seen in several weeks. In all of these instances it made me sad, these people have all played really important roles in my life, and I love being able to talk to them and laugh with them. In all of these instances, I had to say that I really wanted to get together with them soon...but I had no idea when this soon would be. After walking away from the third time I ran into someone like this, it really made me realize that just maybe God was telling me to slow down a little bit, and rethink some of my priorities. Yes, school and the work that goes with it is important, but so are the friendships I have been immeasurably blessed with.

Luckily, I have been able to meet with a few of these friends, and begin to share what has been going on in my heart with them. To share that the idea of going to China to teach scares me to death at times, but it simultaneously makes me so excited to see how God would use me in a situation like that. To talk to them, and to pray with them is a gift that I take advantage of all too often. Each time I have needed a friend, God has answered the prayer by sending the perfect person into my life. When I have taken the time to slow down and listen, He has taught me so much about His love for me though those around me this year. I have been able to find a new confidence that relies on God, and is not based on the ways of man. Sometimes I just need this reminder that I need to turn my prospective upside down, to be able to look at things from Gods eyes, and not my own.

2 comments:

  1. abby,

    you speak like one amazing and mature woman of the Lord. i'm proud of you. keep seeking, dear. can't wait to see how God is going to use you after we get through all this craziness!!!

    stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. stacey lynn is right, you have grown into quite a woman. Just don't get involved with so much that you get behind, keep current with obligations, because once one is overwhelmed, it takes too much energy to get back to midline. We love you.

    ReplyDelete