Saturday, October 17, 2009

week 1....

Sorry it has been so long! My only excuse for that is I have been so busy! Which I guess is not the nest excuse in the world...but don't worry, I am back!

We started the new session, which is my first session last Monday. On Monday we did interviews for the over 400 students so that we could place them in classes by levels. That was a crazy day, but it felt so nice to be doing something, even though the break was a wonderful way to start my trip in China. On Tuesday the students had orientation, and then Tuesday evening we met our classes. I am facilitating the lowest class with one of the other facilitators, Kyle. He also just graduated from college and this is his second session here. Then we had class on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and I have this weekend off! We have 32 students ranging in age from 23 to their 40's and they are all teachers, mostly English teachers for various levels. The whole program is very student and activity centered, and very unlike the Chinese teaching methods they are used to. The main big projects are a speech they give at the end and a practicum they have to practice using the new teaching methods so they will then hopefully go back and use these in their classes. So far I really really enjoy it, even though it can be very challenging! We speak special English students, which is slower and you emphasize the pronunciation, and often times I find myself talking in special English when I am talking the facilitators as well, and it can be quite funny. It is also very busy while we are in session, and we do have breaks throughout the day, but they are usually used to nap or prepare for your next class or club, so it is really nice to have this weekend off. I am at a coffee shop right now just relaxing which is wonderful!

Last night some of the team and I (the ones we sometimes call the 20 somethings) went to Wudalko, which is a district about 20 minutes away by bus that has a lot of foreigners and more American type restaurants to have pizza and just relax for awhile. One of the most exciting things was they had coke...but not just in a can...it was fountain coke...in a big glass....WITH ice! Yes, we do get excited about the little things...you kinda have too :)

In other news...I am loving it here! It has already been such an amazing experience and I can tell it will only get better. Yes, there will be times when I don't really believe that...but it really is amazing. I have made some really awesome friends who I really can't imagine living without right now. They are always there for me when I need them for a hug to just to talk to, and they are truly a huge blessing! God has been so good to me...and I am really excited to see what else He has in store for me!

I will try to take pictures of my room (after I clean it and finish decorating) soon so you can all see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment