Monday, October 5, 2009

















Wow….it has been such a busy week! We are still on break and most days we are out and about doing something around the city. Lets see if I can even remember what all I have done J Really, it seems like all of the days are running together and I’m not always sure what day it is often.

Monday night I went with a group to the Olympic green. It was such an amazing, surreal experience. Thoughts when through my head that I was watching this on TV last year, never thinking that I would ever go there, but there I was, right in the middle of everything. It was super cool!!! Since we went at night everything was lit up and it was all pretty beautiful. It is definitely a place I would love to go back again to explore some more. One of my other teammates, Jaime, was just as excited to be there, so we had a lot of fun together.

Tuesday was National day, and I really didn’t do much! We did watch fireworks that night, which was fun.

I went to the silk market on Friday I think. It was a pretty crazy experience. It is pretty much about 6 floors of things for sale everywhere. And there is everything you could ever imagine there. From purses and shoes, to clothes, to silk and cashmere, to all the Chinese trinkets and things you can imagine. And you don’t just buy things at the silk market, you bargain for things. I was told to pay between 10-30% of the price you are originally told. I tried a little bit, but mainly watched while others bargain for their purchases. I bought a cashmere scarf for this winter, which is probably one of the softest things I have ever felt in my life!

Saturday I went to the Great Wall. It was quite the adventure getting there, and we didn’t end up at the section we wanted, and paid more than we should have, but all that said, it was pretty amazing. The area we went to was super steep and a really good climb. It was built in a loop, so we figured there must have been a palace or something in the middle that was worth protection. We walked some of the way up the first side, and then to the very top tower on the other side. There were times where is felt like we were just going and going and would never make it, but it was SO worth it once we finally made it to the top. It was such a clear day and completely beautiful with the mountains surrounding us. I knew coming in the Beijing was surrounded my mountains, but for some reason that really didn’t sink in and actually surprised me as I first started to see them. I guess since I am not use to seeing mountains in Indiana they are “new” and exciting to me!

On Sunday we went to church and then a lot of us went out to lunch together. It was a different experience having my food ordered for me and not really knowing what exactly I was eating, but everything I had was good (I didn’t try everything!) It was really refreshing to be able to go to church and be with the group.

Each day I also get to know my teammates, and myself better. This experience has already been so good for me, and I know that this is just the beginning. Each day is a new adventure full with new experiences and lessons. I have training this Thursday and then the session stars next week, so that will bring its own set of changes and challenges with it.

I hope all is well at home, and know my prayers are with you, and well as J.D’s family everyday!

2 comments:

  1. Nice Vera Bag! Where did you get that from?

    Glad to see you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the pictures! I got winded just looking at all those steps.

    ReplyDelete