Monday, March 28, 2011

Beijing Aviation and Transportation Training Center

One day a few weeks ago I was asked if I could attend a full day seminar.  I agreed, thinking that it would be in Chinese and I would just sit and try not to act too bored the whole time.  The next day I found out it was for high school students and would be in English.  Then came the information that they had a list of English phrases and I would be helping them with those.  But wait, they aren't high school students, they are actually college students.  

Armed with some information I leave at 6:30 in the morning with one of the Chinese staff, Amy.  A car picks us up and drives us somewhere on the outskirts of Beijing and we eventually arrive at the Beijing Aviation and Transportation Training Center.  I walk into the classroom and find out that I am not just helping, I am the teacher...for the entire day, and all the material I have to go off of is a 4 page document with English phrases the students are supposed to learn so they can pass their exam and become workers on the first bullet train from Beijing to Shanghai.  
'
Needless to say, I had to do a lot of thinking on my feet, but honestly it was a great day.  Once I got over the initial shock of having to think of activities for the whole day I had a great time teaching them and helping them.  It was pretty refreshing to have a change of pace from life at TIP, but I was more than ready to leave at the end of the day as I was completely exhausted and went to be not soon after I arrived back on campus.

So, without further ado, meet the first Beijing-Shanghai bullet train employees, who thanks to me can hopefully speak some useful English :)


No comments:

Post a Comment