Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shanghai!

Each month we have a short break in between session.  Often, these breaks are used to rest and prepare mentally and physically for the next month, with a little traveling thrown in here and there.  So, when halfway through the the October session Amanda asks me if I want to go to Shanghai with her for a few days of course I am going to say yes.  I have been to Shanghai with my parents, but only for a day, so I knew there were many more sights to see and things to do, plus everyone needs to get away now and then




When we arrived in Shanghai after a 10 hour overnight train ride we went straight to our hostel and waited until we could check in, since we got there so early.  Once we got to our room, which was really nice and had an amazingly soft bed we flipped on the tv.  Much to my surprise as I was flipping channels I found Monday night football featuring the Colts!  It was a nice taste of home and actually a really big blessing!



Then we were able to meet up with Yume, who used to work on the Chinese staff and lives in Shanghai.  It was super fun to see her!  She took us to the YuYaun gardens and treated us to some delicious Shanghai specialties, plus gave us many ideas for the rest of our trip.


Then Amanda and I went in the actual garden, which was huge and absolutely beautiful!


The next day we went to Qibao, which is a really cute area that has been preserved to show Shanghais past.  We braved the crowds, strolled the streets, and enjoyed some awesome seafood.


That night was quite possibly the highlight of the trip.  As volunteers who don't make a lot of money we normally do everything the cheap way, which proves to be a lot of fun most of the time.  However, for once we decided to throw this to the wind.  We got reservations (gasp!) and dressed up to go to a fancy dinner at M on the Bund.  It is a really nice European restaurant located on the top floor of one of the buildings on the Bund, which is the beautiful riverfront.  So, we decided to go all out and went to the bar first for a glass of wine before heading upstairs for an amazing meal.  It was an amazing time and allowed us to reflect just how good God is and how blessed we are.  We about 99.9% that no one else in the restaurant was even close to our salary range, yet we were able to enjoy the meal without worrying about the price tag.  It reminded us how God knows what we needs and provides for us abundantly.  After the meal we were able to go on the balcony and enjoy the amazing view before a casual stroll along the river before walking back to the hostel.





On our last day we ventured over the river to the Pudong area where all the skyscrappers are and decided to go up the Shanghai World Financial Center, which has the tallest observation deck in the world.  It was pretty amazing being so high and we were blessed with a clear day (much clearer than when I was in Shanghai previously :) ) which allowed us to see for miles.  It was pretty spectacular!




Since we had time to kill before our train left that night we decided to go to an art museum.  Our choices were the Shanghai Art Museum and the Modern Art Musuem.  We choose the Shanghai Art Museum, but really most of the art there was pretty modern.  There was some pretty awesome things though!  They had a display inspired by Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City which was easily my favorite part.



I am so thankful for the opportunity to spend time with Amanda.  It was a time of relaxation and rejuvination which we both needed, but even more than that it was a reminded of how good God is and how he will always provide for his children.  I am so blessed to be in China following his lead every step of the way! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really fun! I like the idea of splurging once in a while. I always think it feels quite fancy to get a drink like wine before dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos! Thanks for sharing. China is no doubt a country with rich history and lots of things to see. I travel back and forth from England to China work related and unfortunately haven't had the time to enjoy it but I'm considering going there on a vacation so the information was really useful.Thank you for sharing. I've only been to Beijing so far and it's an amazing city.And speaking of travel tips the only thing I don't like about it is that I often have problems with the last minute bookings and realized that I have to call to confirm my reservation. It might be pricey so I use a call service which provides cheap calls to China Its fast, cheap and easy to use.

    ReplyDelete